Wednesday, June 29, 2016

It's hard to get back into the swing of things......

I took a class called Lady Anise Eugenia Potts with Angela Jarecki last June...a whole year ago....eek.

About that time I was told I had first stage uterine cancer and as a result had a hysterectomy in July 2015. That sorta of took the wind out of my sails. Sheesh. I'm not normally a morbid person but something like that does make you think about stuff.

As a result I haven't done much creating since.

Poor Lady Anise though.

She has gone through many costume changes as for some reason I just couldn't get what Angela had designed for her doll to work for mine. That happens. I don't know if it was the fabrics I used or what.

I did away with her pantaloons and many over layers and tried a different shape for her skirt. For awhile she looked like this......

 I had made her a hot pink jacket which if it had fit somehow it would have been perfect and pulled the whole look together. Alas no matter how much I fooled around with it I didn't like the look. So I took the blouse pattern and the sleeve from the jacket and put them together to get a new look. Then I used the skirt pattern from one of Angela's other dolls called The Traveler and this is her new outfit so far.
Did you notice that I now have labels on the shoe boxes holding my fabric. I organized all my fabric one day. I think I was trying to psych myself back into sewing. 

I think she has a sort of Anne of Green Gables vibe going on now.

I was looking to see if I could find teeny tiny buttons to put down the front of the blouse but the scale was off so I may use some tiny pearl beads instead. It needs something as it looks too plain.

Oh and me? Well 2016 has been an adventure so far I must say.

In March I found out I had breast cancer. I have had two lumpectomys and over the next two months I will be having radiation treatment. The good news is the cancer was non invasive so I will be clear afterwards.

I am determined to finish Lady Anise just so I can get back into doll making again. It's just like any other skill. If you don't practice you forget.

I think I'll start with her hat as that's pretty easy to make.

The Facebook doll club I belong to has some really interesting challenges this quarter.

Tempting:)

Here are the guidelines but they are flexible. For example you really don't have to make a Little Mermaid character. Any doll themed around mermaids etc is acceptable. For the second challenge, one of our members wants to do a Mad Hatter Tea Party with cats....that's okay too. The whole idea of the challenges is to get those creative juices flowing and to give you a focus for your creativity.


Anyway that's it for now.

Take care: )

10 comments:

The Stitch Fiddler said...

Glad your picking up where you left off last June and finishing Lady Anise. I completely understand about costumes that are designed for the doll not working out. It happened to me with the Squirrel dolls I sculpted and never finished.

I thought the doll's skirt and blouse was nice before but I see that this new blouse with sleeves fits her figure nicely. Sometimes dolls just need a costume change.

Sorry for your health issues Mary Ann but I'm glad to hear you're on your road to recovering from the cancer with the surgery and radiation.

I look forward to seeing Lady Anise finished. :)

Judys Lace Creations said...

Oh Marty Ann, you have had a hard time...I am So Glad your screen/tests say the cancer is non invasive. Thinking of you as you try to pick up the pieces of your life.
Like your doll costume. The changes really change the look don't they?
judy xx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

whoa!! those are just too many health issues for one year!! Glad to see you post and glad that you have felt like messing with the doll again. I like the new look much better. The pink blouse is gorgeous and tiny pearls will work out perfectly. Don't you find that focusing some time being creative is food for your soul?
Much love
Carol

Mary Ann said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm determined to finish this poor doll. She has been headless long enough....LOL

Romona King said...

Did not know all this was going on. I'm so sorry. I know that putting your mind onto positive things will make for a speedy recovery. So glad to hear that the cancer is non invasive, that a huge plus. Your doll will be lovely, you always turn out wonderful art dolls.

Jo Ferguson said...

I like her new look better, too. It's nice to see you creating again. Wishing you all the best on your treatments ahead and know that we're all with you, through this.

Shashi Nayagam said...

I hope you are feeling better now. It does take a while to get back from any kind of medical problem. The costume is looking good. Like the colours you chose

Sue said...

It seems to me dolls are for the most part patient to be realized. I'm glad you are coming to a balance with your health issues. I can imagine cancer can sabotage all aspects of a normal routine. I often come to your blog for inspiration. Your doll is looking great. I love her new blouse.

Maddy Maddocks said...

What you've done so far with Lady Anise looks amazing! Glad that the mojo came back after what must have been a very difficult time. Thoughts and prayers to you. My mojo left me for some time after illness and bereavements, too. I wish you all the very best. Madeleine x

Shashi Nayagam said...

I am glad you are getting back to her and I can't wait to see her finished. Hope you start feeling better as well